I recently had the issue when upgrading my Lenovo W520 where the Windows 7 installer was not able to recognize the SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 SSD drive i was trying to install. It would boot normally into the Windows 7 installer but when asked which disk to select the SSD was not in the list and the installer asked for a disk driver. I tried everything to get it to work; installing the latest Lenovo W520 Bios version 1.38; updating the SanDisk Extreme firmware to the latest R201 version; reformatting the SSD; trying different versions of Windows 7 install disk such as Windows 7 Ultimate, Professinal and Enterprise. The way i finally fixed it was using diskpart, a program for manipulating disks within Windows, it is part of the windows 7 install.
To use the Diskpart.exe utility to clean the hard disk and ready it for install do the following:
- Insert the DVD into the DVD drive.
- On the disk selection screen, press SHIFT+F10. A Command Prompt window opens.
- Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.
- Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.
- Type sel disk number, and then press ENTER. number is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected.
- Type det disk, and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected.
- Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type clean all, and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.
- Type exit, and then press ENTER to close the diskpart tool.
- Close the Command Prompt window.
- Click the Refresh button to update the disk selection screen. This step lists the disk.
- Run Windows Setup to perform a clean installation of Windows.
I recently had an issue with installing vSphere Update Manager where i was getting an error and it wouldn’t install. Looking closer at the log files i had the following message:
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9084
The following on the vSphere Knowledge Base site helped me resolve it:
Specifically downloading the client directly from the vCenter Server and installing it manually:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9084/vci/downloads/VMware-UMClient.exe (take note of capital letters in the file name)